Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Jumping on the coupon bandwagon

Since I no longer work outside the home and bring in a paycheck the idea of couponing intrigued me. I feel this is a way I can help the family save money. When I first researched the idea it seemed very time consuming and confusing. But I finally decided to jump in with both feet. Here's the first week's results.

Target
2.5lb Chicken Breast Bag $5.84
$2.00 Target coupon
Final Price: $3.84

Suave Hair Care $1.89
$.75 Target coupon
Final Price $1.14

Savings: $2.75
Total: $4.98


Giant Eagle

Pillsbury Crescent Rolls 4 pack 1.50 x 6
Sale & Coupons $8.40 (this includes a $3 coupon on my next purchase)
Total $.60

Solo Cups 20 ct. $2.39
Sale & Coupons $1.89
Total $.50

Cheerios $2.99
Sale & Coupons 1.60
Total $1.39

Yo-Plus Yogurt 4 pack $2.50 x 2
Sale & Coupons $3.00
Total $2.00

Betty Crocker Cookie Mix $2.59 x 4
Sale & Coupons $5.56
Total $4.80

Ziploc Freezer Bags $2.49 x 2
Sale & Coupons 1.98
Total $3.00

$1.00 Checkout coupon from a previous trip

Total Savings $20.62
Final Price $11.42

I am committed to only buying items that we need now or stocking up on items I know we will use in the future. I will not buy items that we don't use or don't need. As I build up my coupon stash I should be able to get even better deals. I use this site and this site for resources on weekly deals and coupons. These sites are specifically targeted to the area where I live, but there are probably sites for your geographic region too.

Let me know if you coupon. I would love to hear tips from the experts.

1 comment:

  1. Wahoo - welcome to the couponing club! :) I enjoy Money Saving Mom as well as couponmom.com. I love, love, love how you can stack coupons at Target - use the manufacturer coupon plus a Target coupon for the same item. I save lots of money at Target and love shopping there, that's for sure! I also like how you can print coupons from Target's site and you can also get manufacturer coupons from coupons.com. Welcome aboard!

    ReplyDelete