I mentioned a while back in this post of yore that I wanted to try my hand at making a quilt. Nothing too fancy just a simple quilt for the little lady.
I found a very simple tutorial for a scalloped edge quilt from Zaaberry. I found fabric I loved. I already had batting from the chair recovering project. I thought I was set so I dove in.
I created the scallops, cut the fabric, added the batting, and sewed it together. Everything looked great until I turned it for top stitching. There were major puckers at every scallop! I was beyond disappointed and somewhat at a loss for how to fix it.
I forgot to take a picture of the quilt in all it's horrible glory, but this picture kind of shows the puckers after I cut off the scallops.
I let it sit as I dejectedly tried to come up with a solution. After giving it a few days I decided to abandon the original design. The cause of my problem was the batting. It was too thick for the project, but I wasn't willing to rip out all the seams and buy new batting. I had to let it go. I decided I would cut off the scallops and create a smaller hand tied quilt with rounded edges. So, that's just what I did and while it didn't turn out exactly as planned I still love the fabric and think it will serve the little lady well.
Here's the finished product:
Just goes to show you can't win them all, but you can make it work (in the words of Tim Gunn :)