Friday, August 29, 2014

5 on Friday

August is always a crazy month for us and I'm  feeling a bit behind in every aspect of my life, so I thought I would do a little blog catch-up.

1) The primary reason August is so crazy is because of football camp. The players have arrived and practice is in full swing. This also translates into Kyle being gone all the time. Thankfully, the very difficult 1st 2 weeks of football has finished and now we can get into a routine.

I was a little apprehensive about the 2 weeks of football camp since this would be my first time experiencing camp with 3 kids. Thankfully, it went pretty smoothly. Kyle was indeed gone from 5 am - 12 am most days, but I  kept the kids pretty busy with activities. We went to several football practices, park visits with friends, play group, etc. And most evenings we would eat supper with Daddy at the cafeteria. I tried to keep everything low key and non-stressful and it seemed to work.

We are so happy to have Daddy home more now…though it is taking some extra communication as we readjust our roles…Kyle getting back into Daddy mode and me learning I don't have to be responsible and in control of 3 kids all the time :)

2) This past Sunday our church hosted their annual Family Fun Day. It's an outreach event on the church lawn and they provide lunch, bounce houses, a petting zoo, horse rides, a rock climbing wall, face painting and the worlds largest slip'n'slide. It's a free event and I great way to bring in new community members. The kids had a blast!


Nora got her face painted for the 1st time. After perusing the cat and butterfly pictures she chose to be a pirate. The face painter decided she needed to be a girl pirate so she used pink paint and added flowers. She also gave her a hear eye patch :)


Sawyer spent most of his time sliding down the slip'n'slide and running back up the hill. He could have done that all day!


He also had a 1st…he rode a horse for the 1st time. He was a little hesitant at first but once he was on he was all smiles. After the ride I asked him if he had fun. His response, "mom, I was a little bit scared, but I was also a little bit brave." :) If you know Sawyer and his fear of animals you know this was a pretty big feat and he was indeed brave!



3) I don't know why, but there has been a lot of snuggle time lately. I think it's because we love one another :)



4) I stopped using deodorant. I read a few studies about the effects of aluminum used in antiperspirants and decided the risks outweigh the rewards. So I quit cold turkey and tried going with no deodorant. Considering it was summer the experiment went much better than I thought. Sure I sweat a bit more, but it's not horrible (i.e. I don't constantly have sweat rings on my shirt). While I was pleasantly surprised at the lack of sweat I did encounter a few situations where I needed some sweat protection (i.e. work, going to an appointment after working out, etc). I've seen many diy deodorant tutorials, but I wasn't quite ready to try my hand at that so I researched natural deodorant options and chose Lavanila (grapefruit/vanilla). It is a bit pricey, but I plan to only use it in specific situations so it should last a while. I've been using it for about a week and I love it! The family fun day I mentioned above was super hot and I was wearing jeans so I was sweating, but the deodorant stood up to the test and I never smelled even a hint of body odor. So far so good!

5) I know what I'm about to say is a controversial topic and I don't really want to start a debate, but this is a journal of our life and I want to make sure and document this experience.

Since Kolter was born he has spit-up a lot (15-20) times a day. It does not upset him and sometimes he even smiles through it, but it was a major annoyance. He would have to be changed multiple times a day or sit in his own stink. Plus anyone who held him also had to change clothes regularly (mostly me). So, I decided to give chiropractic care a try. I had never been to a chiropractor so I was a little skeptical. His 1st visit was by far the strangest…first they did a spine scan that showed some irregularity. Then I laid on the table with Kolter on top of me (on his stomach and then his back) and the chiro placed my hands on different areas of his back, stomach and neck. Then she would take my leg and push it in while I tried to push it out. If I had weak resistance she would work on the area of his body where my hand was located (very strange!). The 1st visit she worked on Kolter's neck, stomach, diaphragm and iliac.

Since birth Kolter has preferred to turn his head to one side most likely because that is the way he looked in the womb. After working on his neck at the 1st appointment he can now easily look both directions.

The reflux issue has taken more work. We have been going twice a week for 3 weeks. His spitting up has decreased from approximately 15 times a day to 2-5 times a day. So there has been a significant decrease. Each visit she checks him again and typically works on his back and stomach. It does seem to have helped Kolter and his annoying spit-up sessions have decreased, but taking 3 kids to the chiropractor twice a week is also annoying. With that said I think we are going to give Kolter a break and see if his ability to keep food down continues :)









No comments:

Post a Comment