Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Potty Training {#2}

On Nora's 2nd birthday we began her potty training adventure. I was nervous because we decided to take the plunge at 2. Sawyer was 2 1/2 and beyond ready to be potty trained, so he was pretty easy. However, Nora just turning 2 was only just beginning to show signs of readiness. Such as she would tell us before she went #2.

We once again employed the 3 Day Potty Training Method by Lora Jensen. And I'm happy to report it worked like a charm!

The 1st day brought lots of accidents in the morning, I think 10. But she stayed dry through nap and had no accidents in the afternoon or evening. The 1st night which I always dread she stayed dry. The 2nd morning I was feeling good about the process then Nora had 5 accidents in a span of 3 hours and I was feeling very defeated and wanted to give up. But we persevered and she stayed dry through nap and the whole afternoon! The 3rd day was a Monday and I felt pretty confident that she had grasped the concept, but I was nervous because we had our 1st official outing (Nora's 2 year doctor visit). Happy to report no accidents and she even went at the doctor's office telling me when she had to go. The ran a few more errands that day and she did great staying dry. I think she had 1 accident on the 3rd day because I didn't get her up from her nap right away. And this trend has continued. She averages about 1 accident a day and sometimes they are my fault. For example, one day I took a shower and she couldn't open the bathroom door to tell me she needed to go potty so when I finished I found her sitting outside the door with wet pants. Poor thing is too small to get on the potty by herself.

The hardest part about the whole journey is having to stick by your child's side for 3 days. It may not sound that bad, but they literally can't be out of your sight until the "get it." It took Nora 2 days to "get it" and I could not wait to turn over the reins to Kyle and get out of the house. I think Nora was also getting tired of me because a few times she said "Just wait here. I'll be right back."

I wrote the above paragraphs soon after the potty training adventure. It's now been about 1 month with no diapers and I'm happy to report she is doing very well. About 3 weeks in we were down to a few accidents a week. She has even started getting on the big toilet all by herself. So proud of our big "baby" girl!

And sorry there are no pictures...I don't think we need to put that out there :)


2 comments:

  1. Yay! Glad you stuck with it and it worked again! I have been recommending that to everyone I know that has a child ready to potty train. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are going to have to chat when it's my turn to deal with that. :) sounds like you've got it down! H just doesn't appear to be at all ready-aside from being obsessed with a certain potty book. :(

    ReplyDelete