Sunday, February 23, 2014

Girly Goodies

Over the last few weeks I've had the pleasure of creating some girlie goodies for sweet little ones in my life.

Front or Back tie pillow case dress from a vintage pillow case
I don't really follow a tutorial anymore since I've made so many of these, but here are 2 good tutorials for pillowcase dresses:
Prudent Baby
Mother Huddle

Paper Bag Dress
Then I tried my hand at a tutorial I spotted on Pinterest from Caila Made, the Paper Bag Dress. It was super easy and I used fabric I already had on hand for both dresses. The pink flower dress is for Nora this summer. The aqua/yellow/gray dress was for a friend who was turning 1. I altered the tutorial sizing to make it a 12-18 month fit. I love the 2nd one so much I believe I will be making another one in Nora's size.



I was going through my fabric stash and found a couple of things I've been meaning to accomplish and I finally took the time to do them. The dress above was actually a women's maxi skirt I purchased for myself at Goodwill. Well the top did not stretch to my liking (i.e. it was too small), but I knew I could re-purpose the material. It sat for about a year until I finally pulled it out and tried it on Nora. I simply took in the top portion a little bit, folded over the top (it was like a yoga pant waistband) and sewed it down, cut the dress to the length I liked and added straps made from fabric I cut away. It probably took less than 30 minutes to make the whole dress. Because it's jersey I didn't even hem the bottom. The task that took the longest was getting Nora to try it on multiple times to ensure the correct length and then again to fit the straps.

When Sawyer saw it he declared it a beach dress and I think that's the perfect idea!

Also while perusing my fabric stash I found a yard of cute flannel. I use to use flannel all the time, but I haven't in a while so instead of waiting for the perfect project my goal was simply to use the fabric for a constructive purpose. And the result is a pair of pajama pants for Nora. I used the MADE basic pants pattern and tutorial. I made them big with the hope they will fit next winter and they will probably end up being a birthday gift in August…I guess I'm just ahead of the game for once.

No comments:

Post a Comment