Friday, May 3, 2013

Recap







Sorry I dragged the CO posts out so long but honestly we have been so busy I haven't been documenting very well. So, here's a quick (quick being a relative term as I this quickly became a novel) recap of what's been going on...nothing too exciting just life.

the weather is finally warming up, yay!

Every time the weather is above 50 the kids and I make is a point to do some outdoor activity. We take walks around the neighborhood in search of sticks, ride bikes, go to the track, visit the park, or draw with sidewalk chalk.
along with that cute face notice the shorts and short sleeves!
We are stuck in the dark ages here...we've never had cable television but we do have a converter that allows us to get a few random channels. Well, the cable cord for that device just went out so the picture and sound are all messed up. Combine that with the fact that our DVD player and VCR are both broken. Needless to say our electronic situation is pretty sad. Sawyer's Elmo viewing has decreased drastically. I figure the weather is getting warmer and we don't need to be sitting in front of the TV anyway.

I have a couple of contract jobs this month. They are always a huge blessing. One of them could be very interesting. It's on a Friday evening beginning at 5:00 pm and ending at 8:00 pm then I get a break and have to report back from 12:00 am - 3:00 am. Considering I'm usually in bed by 10 this could be a big struggle. I actually have to talk intelligibly about health insurance in the middle of the night...

Now, you're going to think I'm crazy but that same day (after being up until 3 am) I signed up for my 1st craft fair. It's my 1st and may also be my last but I thought I would give it a try. Just another way to market Fresh Regard. If it's a success great, if not no big deal I will just stick to online business.

Speaking of online business it is going very well. Last week I received my first wholesale order, 4 table runners and 27 towel sets (72 towels!). The wholesale route seems to work better for me than the consignment environment I sold in last year. But truth be told getting that large of an order was a little overwhelming especially since I try to confine my sewing to nap time. It took a few days but I finally got it done.

When I was overwhelmed my awesome husband graciously agreed to give me a "day off" on his day off. He took care of the kids all day! I worked on orders all morning which was super productive without kids clinging on my legs. That afternoon I redeemed a mani/pedi gift certificate I had. Oh it was glorious to have a little pampering. Then that evening I went out to eat and shopping with a friend. It was so nice to have a kid-free day full of productivity, relaxation and girl time.

Spring football is over but Kyle is still busy recruiting and remodeling the bathroom. Oh yeah and now we have to add lawn mowing to the list (the one downfall of nicer weather).

Speaking of the bathroom. Due to several short weekends the bathroom is progressing at a slow pace but it's almost there...since last I updated Kyle put in the vanity, trim, backsplash (oh I can't wait to show you the tile), light, and mirror. We picked up the shower door the other day so hopefully he can put it in soon. Most of the remaining jobs are mine: make a curtain, make some art, and caulk the whole room. But we are starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel!

Are you starting to see why we might be a little busy?

Amidst all the grown-up work we also have 2 little ones. Last week they were sick :( They both threw up in the middle of the night. It was Nora's 1st time to throw up and we didn't discover it until the morning. Poor thing threw up in the middle of the night and didn't even make a peep. Then they both suffered with intestinal issues the rest of the week. Thankfully their energy and attitude were not really affected by their stomach issues.

Check out this series of photos. I asked Nora if she wanted her photo taken one day and they both chimed in "yes." Sawyer acted as the creative director as he instructed Nora and I on the faces to make for each shot. Though as you will notice Nora doesn't take Sawyer's instruction very well :)
sad face
happy face
surprised face
scared face
With the warmer weather the number of bathes and outfit changes has increased dramatically.

Nora's not the only one who has a little fascination with shoes. Sawyer too has shown an affinity for footwear. Recently when he saw Nora's flips flops he declared he needed a pair of flip flops, specifically RED flip flops. Several weeks later I walked in the house with a bag and told Sawyer it was for him. I asked him to guess what it was and he immediately answered "red flip flops!" They are a little big but he loves them and wants to wear them constantly. I love it when something as simple as flip flops make him so happy.

My weekly Bible study is coming to an end (we take a summer break). But I really want to find some kind of independent study for the summer. I know myself and if I don't find something before the end of this study it will be easy for me to just be lazy this summer. A book was recently recommended to me and I think I may try it. The title is Christ in the Chaos. As I understand it is about daily living out the gospel amidst the chaos of raising children. I'm not usually a fan of motherhood books but it was highly recommended by a friend so I may give it a shot. Anyone read this book? Any other Bible study recommendations?

Oh another thing I could use advice on...Nora's hair! I feel like it's out of control. It's growing quickly but it is difficult to pull the front of her hair back and I can't stand her hair constantly in her face. Any advice? How about trimming advice? I feel pretty confident cutting Sawyer's hair but I'm VERY nervous to attempt a trim on Nora's hair. Any and all suggestions welcome. Maybe I should just break down and take her to the salon.

1 comment:

  1. Since you asked: I didn't want the hassle of bangs on my girls, I knew with time the hair would "learn" to lay back instead, so when they were/are this age, I cut a sort of grown-out bangs look, where there was no blunt/obvious end to the bangs but they kind of framed the face and then the haircut went down around the back of the head at about shoulder length, kind of like a page-boy cut I guess? I like it because it looks nice as it grows out still. Pearls curls under like a true pageboy cut, and Winter's looks like pretty layers. When they were little, I often did a little pony tail or braid on top to pull the long bangs out of the girls eyes, and after every shower or bath I always comb it all straight back to "train" it to lay that way instead of forward and in their faces. Hope that helps!

    ReplyDelete