Sunday, May 5, 2013

A Refined Event

In an attempt to introduce some culture into my  children's life we attended a Kinder concert put on by the Canton Symphony Orchestra.

Let's just say my children did not seem to appreciate the refined music. They were terrible, would not sit still, kept running away (even Nora who never does that) and kept talking loudly. Part of it was my fault. We did not come prepared. We went with our weekly play group but when we arrived we ran into a wall of buses, there were hundreds of kids from the local school district. I thought this would be a small intimate event but it was very full and chaotic and I think it intimidated the kids and started them off on the wrong foot.

The actual concert was pretty good. It was based on a book that the conductor read. The orchestra would play a song that connected with the book. Then after each song one part of the orchestra (woodwinds, brass, etc) would come forward and introduce their instruments then walk through the crowd so the children could see the instrument better. If my kids had been paying attention I think they would have enjoyed it and learned a lot.

So, while it was a bust for us I think the performance was great. And as we were leaving we walked by a bass player putting away his instrument and he let Sawyer pluck the strings a couple of times. I think that was Sawyer's favorite part of the whole experience.

Then we proceeded to the park with our friends so our kids could run out some of their pent up energy. I guess we'll save the finer things in life for later :)


The orchestra and all the kids sitting on the floor. My kids were nervous sitting alone with the other kids so we sat outside the group.


Actually watching the concert. I think this was during the drum section performance


playing the bass



No comments:

Post a Comment