Thursday, January 3, 2013

Kids Party {Cookie Decorating}

After decorating for Christmas and putting up our first Christmas tree I declared we needed to have a party (who wants to go to all that work and then no one sees it?). So I invited the play group over for a kids cookie decorating party. Then I remembered I am NOT a baker...see the evidence below.

I even set the timer but when it went off they needed a few more minutes...well 15 minutes later I remembered they were still in the oven. oops! So my wonderful husband stepped in and saved the day. He completed the rest of the cookie cutter sugar cookies. I made several batches of round sugar cookies that required no rolling of dough :)
The party was pretty low key. I provided the cookies and icing (shout out to Aldi for having the icing pre-colored in red and green). The guest each brought some toppings (sprinkles, mini chocolate chips, etc). Then the kids went to town eating decorating cookies.




The finished products. Each family got to take home 1 plate for themselves and 1 plate to give away. Truth be told the mom's did 90% of the decorating as the kids lost interest after about 2 cookies. They ran off to play while the mom's chatted and decorated.
And as a reminder to myself...next time I plan a cookie decorating party just buy the cookies from a baker. It will be much less frustrating.

3 comments:

  1. ha! just when I start to think you got all the skills because you can craft and sew and decorate and remodel and plan parties, I am glad to see that maybe there is something I can do after all. If I lived near you, we could throw cookie parties together, I could bake them and you could do.... everything else ;)

    Glad you're blogging again. I like the story about Sawyer on the basketball court, too funny!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Kit I hope you're never under the illusion that I've got it all together. I'm not a cook, baker, cleaner, etc. If you were at my house right now you would be shocked by the state of uncleanliness :) I didn't know you were a baker. Maybe next time we're in SC for a holiday we can do a cookie decorating party with all the Lambert cousins and take them to the nursing home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not a huge baker, but I enjoy it more than cooking. I usually prefer cookies that don't need decorated, unless there are other folks there to help me :)

      Delete