Sunday, January 2, 2011

Thoughts on becoming a Master

After two long (or incredibly short?) years I recently graduated from graduate school with an MBA. I can now sign my name with ", MBA"...not that I will ever do that, but I can if I want. I wanted to reflect on the experience.

First, I know I would not have been able to complete the program without the love and support of the Lord and my family. When I am stressed or anxious coming before the Lord is a great way to calm the spirit. And without Kyle's sacrifice of spending less time with me, watching Sawyer nearly every night he was available, cooking, and cleaning I would not have been able to finish.

You may or may not know this, but I am a perfectionist...especially about school work. I think it's a great weakness of mine. I can remember once in college after taking a test I cried to my mom and Kyle for probably 4 hours because I thought I had failed. That was the 1st (and only) test I have taken that I honestly did not know if I had passed, let alone got an A. In the end I learned the test was created to make people fail and the professor then curved the results...I got an A. After that experience (thank you Personal Income Tax) I learned a great lesson that I always tried to remind myself when graduate school began to stress me out (at least once a week :) It's just school, it's just a class, it is not the end of the world, no one will stop loving me if I fail. And then I try to remember the important things in my life.

I was going through graduate school during several major events in my life including: being pregnant (found out 3 months after I started school again), going to China, working full-time and commuting 1 hour each way, having a baby, and moving to Ohio.

I am happy it's over. If I had to start over again now, I'm not sure I would do it, but I am glad I did do it.

I now get to make up words (as if I haven't been doing this for years, just ask my husband). I've been told by some very wise people in Hutchinson, KS that once you receive a master's degree you have a license to make up new words.

Now I'm attempting to be on the other side of academia. I am applying for adjunct and online professor positions. Having specialized in HR it's difficult for me to prepare all the application materials because it's in direct opposition to business applications. It's ingrained in my head that resumes should be clear and concise. Whereas CV's (academic resume) are supposed to encompass several pages of information.

Why did I decide to go to grad school? Why did I decide to pursue an academic career?
1) In all of my HR jobs and specifically in my time working at a college I was always surprised at the student's lack of job readiness due to inexperience. Sure students today are computer savvy, but you would be astonished how many do not know how to properly use Excel or create a quality resume. And during my time in college I learned lots of terms and theories, but when I got into the business world I was unprepared for the everyday HR tasks such as FMLA and payroll laws. So, I want the opportunity to teach students the business principles while also giving them a true experiential learning experience. Then they can be prepared when they get their first interview or first job in the real world.

2) My husband works in colleges and we move quite often. This career will allow me to find a job nearly every place we move.

3) I desire to stay home with my children during their young years and doing this on a part-time basis will allow me to be home wiping noses and fixing owies...um I mean enjoying the kids while they are young.

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your MBA, Kristen! Best wishes as you seek God's next step for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can just say I am proud of you! Way to be disciplined. And we really need to go out and celebrate Target was a lame celebration. We can go to your favorite eat out place instead or actually I should just take you for ice cream I know you love that!

    ReplyDelete