Saturday, October 24, 2009

China Part 1

I am starting a series of posts about our summer trip to China. I know it's a little late but I want to record our experience, let you all know what we did this summer, and document the baby's 1st overseas trip :) So, I'm going to split this up into a couple of posts and there will be lots of pictures. And maybe if I can "steal" the video I'll post that too.

So, sit back and enjoy the trip 1/2 way around the world.

The trip began on July 1, 2009 we flew from Wichita, to Detroit, to Shanghai, China. We arrived in Shanghai the night of July 2, 2009. Kyle's birthday is July 2nd, so I think he had the shortest birthday ever (about 3 hours)! What a way to spend your 29th birthday, poor guy.

Kyle & Me after the long flight

The most memorable moment of the flight was at the end. When we landed in China after a 13 hour flight we were instructed to remain in our seats because we had to be screened for the swine flu. We remained on the tarmac for about an hour as 2 people in full hazmat gear tested the temperature of the 500 people on the plane. It was comical and scary all at the same time. I mean it was a bit ridiculous, just because you have a fever does not mean you have swine flu. However, it was nerve wracking because it you had a fever you, your row, and the 2 rows in front and behind you would be quarantined for 7 days! Praise the Lord no one on the plane was quarantined! How amazing is it that no one on the 500 seat plane had a temperature!

The Hazmat Team taking their job very seriously.

Sorry the pictures are grainy, lighting wasn't very good in the airplane...and we weren't really supposed to be taking pictures, but I had to sneak one...I mean it was a once in a lifetime experience :)

To be continued, the fun has just begun...

3 comments:

  1. Wow! That is crazy!! So glad you didn't have anyone around you with fever too... Can you imagine?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thats nuts!!!!! Glad you are ok!
    If you would like come check out my blog and enter my current giveaway at littlemissheirlooms.blogspot.com
    I hope you decided to follow me because I try to bring my readers a new and AMAZING giveaway every Monday!
    Xo
    Priscila

    ReplyDelete
  3. geez that is crazy, but look how rampant it is now here in the states! I can't imagine getting stuck in a quarantine for 7days when I was supposed to be on a missions trip!

    ReplyDelete