Thursday, August 27, 2009

Ode to Taylor

A few weeks ago I had the joy and pleasure of attending a Taylor girl's reunion. We had so much fun! I was reminded that friendships built on the God's truth and the love of Christ can flourish despite years apart and miles of separation. It was such an encouragement to spend time with these ladies once again. We've all grown and changed over the last 4 years, but we reconnected so quickly and it was so nice to have a group of girls to talk too. It was seriously reminiscent of being at Taylor sitting in our suites gabbing.

I'll stop gushing now, suffice it to say we had a spectacular time! The group was Hannah, Johanna, Sarah, and Drew. Hannah is a resident at St. Louis Children's Hospital and she invited us to come stay with her. She is the best hostess ever, hands down. She has an adorable apartment and made us tons of food to devour. Her mango avocado salsa, triple chocolate cake, oh I could go on and on, it was all divine.

We all arrived on Friday evening and talked the night away. In fact we didn't leave the supper table until midnight. Drew and I got to room together just like the old days :) Saturday we leisurely got ready then went to the St. Louis Zoo to see the sites, Forest Park for a picnic lunch, Trader Joe's to fulfill my need for some salsa, and then back to Hannah's place to relax. That night we went to dinner at Dewey's Pizza. We were all pretty exhausted but somehow we stayed up until 2:30 am talking. It really was just like the old days except now we're so much more mature and wise :) Sunday we got up went to church then back to Hannah's place for lunch. Then sadly, I had to depart because I had an 8 hour drive home.

It was so good to see those girls. That trip made me feel so rejuvenated and refreshed...what a blessing!
This is what we did most of the weekend: Laugh
This is what we do best: eat
Roomies: Just like the old days
Group pics at the zoo: Drew, Me, Sarah, Hannah, and Johanna...otherwise known as 1st Northers
Oh, and I can't forget the trip there...well it all started on Tuesday of that week. Kyle, being the great husband that he is, thought it would be a good idea to get our brakes checked before my trip. He took the car to the shop on Tuesday and they proceeded to BREAK a crucial part of my car and of course they didn't have the part in stock but they assured him it would be fixed by Wednesday. On Wednesday they did not receive the part therefore the car remained at the shop. I was leaving on Thursday so we devised a plan in which Kyle would pick up the car from the shop, then drive it to me in McPherson and someone would follow him there to take him home. Well, Thursday at lunch Kyle called and they still didn't get the part. This was all happening during a very hectic work week for Kyle and it was decided the best option was to rent a car. The nearest rental location was 30 miles away and I had no transportation. Papa and Tache graciously agreed to pick me up from work then quickly drive back to Salina to the car rental service. We made it there just in time, I got the car, drove to Papa & Tache's for a quick supper, then headed to the highway. About a mile from my grandparent's a dash light came on. I thought "oh great just what I need another broken down car." I decided to drive to the gas station before checking out the situation, plus I needed gas. I filled up and that's when I noticed...I had a completely flat tire! I called Kyle in tears, but of course he couldn't do anything and he was at a work dinner function. I called Papa and he headed to the gas station. Oh and to make the situation better I didn't have a phone charger (that was in my car at home). I called Enterprise but their office was closed. I proceeded into the gas station to use their phone (since mine was all but dead) and called the customer service line. The CSR told me I could have AAA come and put the spare tire on and then drive to the nearest open Enterprise location to get it fixed or get a new car. She obviously had no idea where I was because the nearest location was the Kansas City Airport which would have taken me 4 or 5 hours to reach on a spare! I incredulously, er I mean politely, declined that option and decided it was not meant for me to drive that day so I would stay at Papa & Tache's for the night, get a new car in the morning, and be on my merry way. I was told the AAA guy would be there in approximately 90 minutes (seriously)! Luckily, he was there in about 15 minutes. He quickly changed the tire, I bought a new car charger, and I was done for the day. I was spent and in the end it all worked out for the best. It was crazy frustrating, but I think God had a reason He didn't want me on the road that day. The ironic thing is last time I left St. Louis from visiting Hannah I had a flat tire...the only 2 flat tires in my life...there's something about that place, but I love it, so flat tires can't keep me away.

No comments:

Post a Comment