Monday, August 10, 2009

The Big Announcement(s)

After many weeks of waiting we decided Father's Day (June 21, 2009) would be the day we told the family about our precious gift from God. It took much orchestrating and many changed plans, but we successfully got all of our parents to convene in the same city on the same day (pretty sure that was a miracle only God could orchestrate).

After church we drove to Bennington to my dad's house first. Our plan was to go into their house and wish dad a Happy Father's Day and then regretfully tell him his gift had not yet arrived. It fact it probably wouldn't be there for another 7 months. However, first thing upon entering the house my dad, being true to character, asks matter of factly..."Are you pregnant?" I just looked at him incredulously and of course I couldn't lie, so I said "yes." I think my answer surprised him more than anything. But I swear (and I usually don't do that) it is impossible to surprise him. Why do I even try? Either way it was fun to FINALLY tell someone and he and Debra were very excited and happy for us. We ate lunch and said our good byes because we had more announcements to make.

On the way from their house to Tache & Papa's we decided to call Troy, Candace, & Gracie. Our original plan was to have a Skype date so we could see their reaction, but we couldn't get them to go for the idea without making them suspicious. So, Kyle called them and wouldn't you know Troy was in the shower...so we had to stall. After a few minutes we asked to "talk" to Gracie. She was babbling away and I asked her, "Gracie, would you like to have a cousin to play with?" Candace answered, "Yes, she would." And I said, "How about in 6 months?" Then there was complete silence. I would have given anything to see their faces at this point. By this time Troy had arrived on the scene and the first thing we hear is Troy say, "no way." After the shock wore off they too were excited with us.

About that time we arrived at my grandparents house to see Mom, Randy, Tache, and Papa. When we got there the guys were out golfing...again we had to wait to spill the beans. Can you tell it was killing us? So, Mom, Tache, and I went to run some errands. When we got back Randy and Papa still weren't back so we waited some more. When they finally arrived they wanted to shower and eat, but I couldn't stand it any longer so I insisted that first we had to celebrate Father's Day. For each of them we bought a brag book and using a computer simulation of both our faces we created a few photos of what our baby might look like and put those in the album. They were so slow opening gifts and it wasn't timed perfectly, in fact mom went out of the room to get something, but it was too late to stop them. Papa opened the gift first and realized it was a photo album. I instructed him to open it. He studied the pictures for a while and I asked "who are those pictures of?" He stated "you and Kyle." I said keep looking and that's when Tache caught on she said, "Are you trying to tell us something?" Of course we said yes. By that time Mom and Randy were just catching on as they were distracted with something else. But then hugs and excitement ensued.

Finally, it was dinner time and the last big announcement. We had invited Randy, Sheila, Jake, and Audra to eat dinner with my parent and grandparents. When we were settled at the restaurant (Gutierrez, by the way) we immediately gave Randy his Father's Day gift. Jake quipped, "Our gift is way better than yours." I just kept quite and thought, yeah right, if they only knew :) We bought Randy & Sheila a book titled: The Gift of Being Grand. It is a children's book about grandchildren and their grand kids. On the inside I wrote: We are excited for you to read this book to your next grandchild. Randy was a little perplexed when he opened it, but I instructed him to look on the inside. Sheila read the message over his shoulder and immediately it clicked (maybe it's the grandmother intuition). Immediately she ran around the table to give us a big hug. And once again much excitement and joy ensued. Even Jake had to admit he couldn't top our gift :)

On the way home we called Cliff, Wendy, Kale, and Christina to tell them the good news. Overall I think the overwhelming reaction was surprise and joy! What a fun day we had sharing our joyous news.

No comments:

Post a Comment