Sunday, June 2, 2013

A Picture Transformed

A few months ago I attended a church event called the Common Table. The idea is to bring stuff you no longer need and take items you can use. There is no cost. One of the items featured at this particular Common Table was housewares. I saw this large picture in a nice solid wood frame. The picture was not my style at all but I simply couldn't pass up a 19 x 23 picture with mat in a solid wood frame. I didn't have a particular project in mind but I knew I could find a use for it somewhere. 
the original picture sans frame
here's a picture I pulled off ebay that shows what the original frame looked like
Fast forward a few months and we were working on the bathroom and I started to think about the decor for the small room. I knew it needed some art but I didn't want a gallery collection because I was afraid it would make the small room appear too busy. However, I didn't want to pay a lot of money for a large piece. Then I remembered the country art I had picked up and decided to transform it. Kyle painted the light oak a bright white. I painted the navy blue mat white. Then I ordered a print from an Etsy seller, T30 Gallery. And suddenly this country piece turned into modern art.


Kyle's favorite artist is Rothko so this Rothko-esque print is a perfect piece for our master bath. The print shown was actually a little too dark for my taste so I contacted the seller and she shipped a much lighter print which is now hanging in the bathroom but I'm too lazy to get a picture of the final product.

Just a reminder that someone's trash can be someone elses treasure :)

1 comment:

  1. Cute, Kristen! I have a small stack of old frames sitting in my craft room waiting to be transformed, too!

    ReplyDelete