Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Kids Krafts {Pillowcases}

Recently my niece asked me to make her a dress.  And while I am no dress maker I couldn't turn down her request.  Then while perusing garage sales I came across some vintage pillowcases...do you know where this is going?


Yes, I made her a pillowcase dress.  They are so easy and fun to make I couldn't just stop with one.  I actually made 4!  One of which is going to be Nora's birthday dress.  These are seriously super easy and fast.  If you had all your supplies ready you could probably make all 4 in about an hour.

This would also be a great project for a beginning sewer.  One of the great things is because you are using a pillowcase you don't have to sew the sides or bottom hem.


I made two different styles.  Two have the side ties and two have the front/back ties.  I didn't really follow a tutorial, but here are a few sites I referenced.

Arm hole sizing and dress length: Nancy's Notions
Tutorial for making a front or back tie: The Mother Huddle
Pillowcase Dress tutorial: Smile and Wave


I made mine very similar to the Smile and Wave tutorial except I did not use bias tape because I didn't have enough.  So I simply created the hem in the armholes by folding the fabric over 1/8 of an inch, iron, fold over another 1/8 of an inch, iron, and then sew it down.

I ended up making my own ribbon ties with leftover fabric, but to make things even easier you could use coordinating ribbon (I would have if I had the right ribbon colors).



And here is Miss Nora wearing her pillowcase dress!
This picture is not so great, but I love that she looks like she is posing :)



2 comments:

  1. So sweet!! Those are adorable. I just need a baby girl to dress up. I don't think Hugh would look quite as precious in that dress as Miss Nora. :) your talent amazes me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh my dear! that is a GREAT photo of her "posing" with hand on hip like that. hilarious, I love it!

    Super cute dress too. I like the tie on the back like that. Pearl has a pillowcase dress with ribbon ties over both shoulders but it's a little "much" and they are hard to get even and keep tied.

    ReplyDelete