Sunday, September 11, 2011

Game #2

This week the team traveled to Illinois to battle McKendree.  The score was 30-27.  And yet again Malone came away with a win in very dramatic fashion.  I'm sure my recount will not do it justice, but here's a quick rundown of the final minutes of the game.  The Pioneers led the whole game until the final 2 minutes when McKendree scored a touchdown to tie the game at 27-27.  At this point I was driving and listening on the radio with screaming kids in the background and talking on the phone to another coaches wife that couldn't listen to the radio so I didn't hear everything...but the offense took the field around their 40 yard line.  The team got a few first downs, but they were not in field goal range.  So, with 5 seconds left on the game clock they threw a hail mary pass that was incomplete and we all figured it was headed to overtime for the second week in a row.  However, the refs threw a flag for a personal foul against McKendree.  So, while the game clock was over we had the opportunity for one more play.  The field goal group came onto the field and missed the field goal attempt, however there was  yet another flag...roughing the kicker.  So the Pioneers once again moved forward and attempted another field goal (I wanna say it was on the 23 yard line at this point) which was good!  The game ended 2 plays after the clock ran out and MU came out victorious.  I was stressed and I wasn't even at the game.  I can't imagine how the coaches and players were feeling.

The Schenk clan did not make the trip. Instead I took on a different challenge...watching 2 kids for 2 days all by myself for the first time.  I started out with lofty ambitions.  I decided to take both kids on a full fledged grocery excursion.  Both children did great at the 1st store, however by the time we reached the 2nd store both kids were screaming and it continued through the 2nd store, on the drive home, until we reached the house and the baby was fed and Sawyer got to watch Elmo.  I realize I made 2 fatal errors that resulted in the demise of my shopping trip.  1) I attempted 2 stores.  Sawyer is patient with 1, but 2 usually results in lots of tears and frustration.  2) I forgot the pacifier.  So, I was that mom with the screaming child that cannot be consoled because all he wants is to be out of the cart/store.  And all the screaming woke the baby up and it was impossible to hold her, push the cart, and corral Sawyer.  But on the bright side we survived and we have some food to eat :)

Luckily the rest of the weekend we had some fun plans to help me keep my sanity and distract us from missing daddy.  On Friday night the coaches wives got together.  The kids played while the girls ate and gabbed.  It was a much needed reprieve for me and Sawyer.  Saturday we got around bright and early and went to the Farmer's Market.  I love perusing the fresh produce and Sawyer loves to talk to strangers and pet the goat.  Saturday afternoon while the kids napped I listened to the game online while working on crafts.  That night we attended a Gotcha Party for some of our friends who recently adopted a sweet little girl who happens to be the same age as Sawyer.  Sawyer had fun in the bouncy house and I had fun interacting with adults.

Daddy arrived home in the wee hours of Sunday morning and we were all happy to be reunited :)

I apologize for a post without pictures but I haven't quite mastered handling 2 kids and getting pictures to capture the moment :)  I really need 1 more arm.

No comments:

Post a Comment