Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Flight

Sawyer and I have been in Kansas for 2 weeks, so the next few posts will be about our adventures in the heart of America.
Trying to get a picture of Sawyer in the airplane, but he was more interested in the seat belt (don't worry I took it away before he got the germ-filled buckle into his mouth)

Our late night in dirty clothes...see story below

Despite the crazy circumstances Sawyer remained happy

We made it to Kansas safely, but the travel was a bit more exciting than I had anticipated.

Kyle dropped me and Sawyer off at the airport in Ohio. A nice TSA woman helped me through security with Sawyer. Sawyer behaved on the plane. The first flight landed on time and everything seemed to be going according to plan.

Then over the next 45 minutes we continued to sit on the tarmac as they searched for a gate to pull into. Once we finally pulled into a gate and I had 12 minutes to get to my next gate, which now because of the gate change meant I needed to get to a different terminal. Sawyer and I were in the very last seat on the plane, but we managed to get a jump start and get off the plane very quickly. However, the gate checked stroller was not yet ready. We impatiently waited while the airport workers kept looking at each other and asking who was going to get the stollers and wheelchairs, instead of someone actually going to get the stroller. The entire plane was empty and still no sign of the stroller.

By the time I got the stroller I had about 5 minutes left. This is when it got really interesting. It was 11:30 pm and I wanted to make the flight to Wichita...so I grabbed the stroller, held Sawyer, and dragged the carry-on as I ran through the airport, up elevators, through hoards of people, all the while searching the monitors to find the proper gate. Well, I learned Atlanta is a really big airport and by the time I made it to the correct terminal the plane was long gone (sidenote: if our plane had pulled in the original gate, my next flight would have been at the same gate).

So, as the flight attendant instructed me I went to customer service and persuaded them to put us in a hotel for the evening. We finally arrived at the hotel around 1:00 am with no bags. Poor Sawyer was a trooper as he had not eaten or slept for 6 hours and had to wear the same clothes for 2 days. We made it safely to Kansas by noon the next day. It was quite an adventure for my first flight alone with a baby.

No comments:

Post a Comment