Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Baby Mobile

Just like thousands of other couples starting a family we decided it was time to look for a family vehicle. Since moving back to a small town in Kansas we had downsized to a one vehicle family. It worked very well for a year, but we knew once we had the baby we would need two vehicles. Much to Kyle's chagrin it was determined we needed a "family vehicle" (not a mini van) and not a truck. So, the search began...and this is what we got...


1985 Toyota "extended cab" with a bonus topper!

Okay, so maybe this truck is not exactly what I had in mind (I was dreaming of a Subaru Forester).

The story: One weekend we were at a wedding and my dad kept calling incessantly. Worrying that something might be wrong I decided to answer the call. He excitedly exclaimed, "I've found the perfect vehicle for you." He continued it's a 1985 Toyota truck with low miles... My first thought is I was 3 years old when this truck was created! As Dad goes on and on about the truck I interject, "Does it work?" And he replies, "Yes, I drove it home." What! Yes, he found the truck, talked to the owner, and then bought the truck and drove it home! What, who buys a vehicle for someone else without asking them!? The rest of the day he proceeds to wash and wax the truck and much to my dismay we rearrange our weekend plans to view the truck the next day.

As you can tell from the picture it is quite a sight. We took a test drive. Kyle confirmed that it drove well and was in good condition considering it's age. My one concern was can it hold a car seat. Ironically, because of it's age it does not have airbags, therefore it is safe for a car seat. We were sold. While it's not quite what we had in mind for a family vehicle we are now the proud owners of a very inexpensive 1985 Toyota truck with low miles. Despite it's hideous appearance it runs well and the best part is Kyle finally got the truck he always wanted and it makes him happy!

Interesting fact about a 1985 truck: Extended Cab = 6 extra inches behind the seat

When football started the other coaches and players started weighing in on our new mode of transportation. My favorite comment thus far is, "Coach, that topper is really cramping your style." I agree the topper really needs to go!

1 comment: