Tuesday, April 3, 2012

8 months



Mom and Dad measurements:

Height: 26.5 inches
Weight 16 lbs.

You fell down the stairs for the first time this month.  Thankfully no injuries were sustained...unless you count mom and dad about having a heart attack.  Let's set the stage...we were eating lunch.  Sawyer had just finished eating and went downstairs.  We were eating at the table and you were crawling around.  Mom and Dad were talking and I guess you thought it would be a good idea to follow your brother.  We heard a thud and instantly knew what happened.  Dad immediately ran down the stairs and practically caught you before you landed.  I just sat there and covered my eyes.  You were scared but there were no visible injuries.

Your hair is finally filling in.  You still have a long way to go, but I do have to pat it down after you sleep.

Size 3 diapers, 6-9 month clothes

I can tell you're going to be a child that likes to work in your own unique way.  Right now you do everything backwards.  For instance you learned to crawl before you could really sit up.  Now you pull up, let go, and just stand.  You don't know how to walk or even cruise around furniture, but you are not scared to let go.  You just stand there until you're ready to move then you go down to your knees and start crawling. It's all great, but you might want to work on walking as standing unassisted won't get you too far.

Since the weather has been so  nice this month we've taken lots of walks and you really enjoy being outdoors.  You don't even mind crawling in the grass.

You've mastered the art of climbing stairs.  I guess now we need to teach you how to get down them safely :)

Eating has been slow going.  We started introducing food 2 months ago but you've probably only eaten a total of 4 oz. of food in those 2 months.  You have had avocado, squash, and sweet potato.  You make the most awful looking faces when you eat.  I can tell you don't like it and by the 3rd bite I can't get you to open your mouth.  I thought it was a combination of me being lazy and only offering you food about once a week and/or you just had not gotten the eating thing figured out.  Well one day right before you turned 8 months I thought I would do an experiment.  I wanted to figure out if you just weren't interested in food or you didn't like it.  So, I broke down and offered you some fruit...bananas to be exact.  The first bite you made your typical I'm-about-to-gag face.  But after the second bite you started jumping around in your seat, smiling, and opening wide!  You ate more in that one feeding than you had in the last 2 months combined.  Lesson learned...you do know how to eat, you're just picky...but don't think that is going to get you out of eating your veggies :)

After a few days of bananas we decided to try another food.  The first thing I grabbed were peas.  Upon first bite you made a disgusted face.  After the second bite you puked (this was not a little spit up people).  We decided to forge ahead and tried a couple more bites.  You reluctantly took it in.  About bite 5 you puked again.  We gave up.  We concluded 1) you dislike peas 2) you may be picky like your momma 3) you have a very sensitive gag reflex.

You have also mastered the art of standing up with no assistance.  I'm not talking about pulling up and letting go.  I mean you go from sitting to a bear crawl position to standing up without using anything to help you get to an upright position.  Your dad and I just looked at each other in amazement when we saw you do it the first time.  We were like "did she really just do that?"  Then you it repeated several times...as if you had been standing up for years and it was no big deal.

And something new this month you are becoming quite attached to your mama.  You can be playing very contently by yourself but if I leave the room you get angry.  If I walk into a room you will immediately crawl towards me with a huge grin.  And if you are hungry forget about anyone else (i.e. Daddy) you want your momma NOW! I'll take the extra love right now, but I sure hope it doesn't turn into full blown separation anxiety.

You nurse 4 times a day at 7:30 am, 11:30 am, 5:00 pm, and 8:30 or 9:00 pm

We introduced the sippy cup and water.  You haven't quite figured it out, but we haven't really trained you yet.  It's mostly used as a distraction technique while we make/eat supper. Ya know so you don't fall down the stairs :)






2 comments:

  1. I noticed a big difference btwn starting solids with my first daughter after having a son first-- not only were the girls more picky than their brother but they were more independent too, Winter especially, and were not happy until they were eating more table food that they could feed to themselves. meanwhile their brother would probably STILL be happy to have us spoon feed him jars of mush to this day if we'd allow it, ha ha! Baby girls are an adventure, for sure :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. She's so precious! And getting so big! Goodness she's a doll. Morgan fell off the bed this morning. Started crying. So glad to hear I'm not the only mom who has gone through this! :(

    Love your blog. Need to get over here more often!!! Time is not on my side these days!!

    Take care. We miss you all.

    ReplyDelete