Monday, August 15, 2011

Homemade Ice Cream

This summer I've been making a lot of ice cream. I don't know if it's because I always have whole milk on hand or if it's because I was pregnant and trying to beat the heat. Regardless our freezer has been full of ice cream.

My go-to vanilla homemade ice cream recipe (lower in fat than most, but still very thick and creamy)

3 cups whole milk (well chilled)
1/2 cup sugar
2 tsp. vanilla

Whisk the 1 cup milk and sugar together for 3 minutes. Stir in the remaining 2 cups of milk and vanilla. Place in ice cream maker for 25-30 minutes. I've found the key to this recipe is ensuring that you mix the milk and sugar for the specified time and the ice cream cooler is properly frozen.

Then enjoy with all your favorite toppings!

A couple of weeks ago we had a watermelon that was mostly eaten, but there was a lot of juice at the bottom of the bowl. So, naturally I decided to make some ice cream :) If you have watermelon, but not juice you can puree the watermelon to create the juice.

2 1/2 cups whole milk (well chilled)
1/2 cup sugar
2 cups watermelon juice.

Whisk the milk and sugar together for 3 minutes. Stir in the watermelon juice. Place in the ice cream maker for 20-25 minutes. Then enjoy the summer deliciousness. Oh, it's so refreshing!

I love the 3 ingredient ice creams that require no cooking. And another perk is I just use what I have on hand. I never have cream or half and half, but because we're trying to put some meat on Sawyer's bones we always have whole milk. Not only is this more convenient it also has way less fat. Win-win for me!

1 comment: