Thursday, October 18, 2012

Healthy Eating

I've admitted my fabric addiction to you, but I have another addiction that is far worse and I decided it was time to fix the problem.  I am addicted to sugar!  I was too the point that I needed some form of sweet after every meal (including breakfast) and right before bed.  So I decided it was time to end the addiction with a sugar detox (including all forms of sugar even artificial sweeteners).  It was a three week program that I read about online.  There is a book, but I didn't purchase it.  I just read labels and and ate mostly non-processed foods.  I'm not going to lie it was HARD! There were a few times I broke down after a hard morning with the kids (think a big glass of chocolate milk) but I would hop right back on the wagon and keep pushing myself.  In the end I learned several things:

1) I do not have to have sweet snacks multiple times a day
2) I eat sweets when I'm bored or to make me "feel" better (which doesn't really work)
3) vegetables can be sweet (I learned I really like mini sweet peppers)
4) real food is much  more satisfying than sweets
5) I always thought fruits and veggies just took more time to prepare but that's not true in reality, it's just about your priorities

I'm sure I will always have a sweet tooth, but this lesson has taught me to keep it in moderation.  I also used several new-to-me recipes.  Some were great successes and others were epic fails.


Kale Chips (smitten kitchen)
bunch of Kale (cut out stem and middle), toss with 1 Tbsp olive oil, lay flat on baking sheet and sprinkle with salt. Bake 300 degrees for 20 minutes.  These were super tasty (I was very skeptical)! My first batch was overly salty.  I salted them like a potato chip but these chips are much thinner so just use a little salt.

Sugar Free PB cookies...these were horrible.  Tasted like you were eating a shoe.

Chicken Fried Rice (Better Homes and Gardens) I added lots of peas and carrots to this recipe as well to get in our veggy intake

Chicken Rice Bake (Tasty Kitchen)

Great Northern White Bean Chili (Meatless Monday)

None of these recipes are new or earth shattering but I found them delicious (and the kids ate them which is another requirement to enter menu rotation) and they are mostly healthy!

1 comment:

  1. I laughed out loud at your "tastes like a shoe" comment! I have a sugar issue too, though it comes and goes. mostly comes, though. I've been having some struggles with my health and realize I need to have more "food in my food," if you know what I mean? But as I look at how to make any changes, I have to say that if I'm going to eat more vegetables, I'm thankful for the invention of bacon. I've been pondering that a lot lately, actually. So it was kinda funny to read this on your blog today :)

    ReplyDelete