Saturday, October 6, 2012

1st Visit

to the dentist! I'm happy to report it went very well.

About a year ago the dentist advised us to start getting Sawyer prepared to see the dentist.  He gave us some great advice such as: in addition to brushing his teeth we could play a game by counting his teeth so he would get used to other people's hands in his mouth.  And to floss we used fun floss picks that kids can use themselves.  Then about a week before his appointment we started mentioning his upcoming appointment and getting really excited about it.

Such a big boy all ready to visit the dentist
So when it came time for the big day Sawyer was super excited to go to the dentist.  I tried to make it a fun mother/son outing by dropping Nora off at Kyle's office.  Then when we got to the dentist they took us right back which was great since waiting with a 2 year old can be difficult.  And the first thing they did was give Sawyer a spinbrush that he could decorate with stickers that were provided. Um... giving my son something mechanical with a button and then adding stickers is pretty much his dream toy so I think he was sold on the dentist from the very beginning.

He got to take a "ride" on the chair.  The hygienist showed him all the tools. Then she proceeded to count his teeth and polish them.  Sawyer did very well.  The only time he got a little anxious was when she put the polisher on his teeth but we just explained to him it was a fancy toothbrush and he let her proceed.  He even got to brush a giant kangeroo and dinosaur teeth.
Learning about the tools
counting his teeth
I was a little nervous about the appointment because I didn't know how he would react.  I know I could have gone to a pediatric dentist but I LOVE our dentist so I wanted to give him a shot.  And I'm so glad I did I think Sawyer will look forward to his appointments every 6 months.

And for being such a big boy we did what everyone should do after getting their teeth cleaned...he got a sugary treat and of course he choose the brownie.


No comments:

Post a Comment