Thursday, October 20, 2011

Fall Crafts

I have slowly started to get my crafting mojo back...I started with the fall wreath I shared a few weeks ago.  My next project was a fall banner for the mantle.  It was simple, but a little time consuming.  Luckily it was a project you could put down and pick up again later.

I was inspired by this idea from Parents Magazine found via Pinterest.  While I liked the idea of using real leaves I didn't want to wait for the leaves to change colors and fall off the tree.  Also I wanted it to last for future years, so I decided to make felt leaves.  I used the tutorial for felt leaves from MADE.


First I googled "fall leaf outline" and then I traced the images directly from the screen to a piece of cardstock.


I traced the images onto my pieces of felt in fall colors.  Then I cut out the leaves.


Next I added the veins in the leaves using brown thread and my sewing machine.  I just free handed the lines.  This was the most time consuming part of the project, but it doesn't have to be perfect.  In fact you don't even have to add the veins if you don't want too.

Then I cut off the threads.  And finally I cut small holes in the leaves and strung twine through the holes to create a leaf banner. Here is the finished product hanging on our mantel.


No comments:

Post a Comment