Friday, December 17, 2010

The One in Which I Pretend to be a Good Cook

I would never claim to be a good cook. In fact it's a stretch to even call me a cook. I typically only cook once or twice a week and even then it's rarely homemade. If it was just me I would eat cereal, pb & j, and mac & cheese for 99% of my meals. But the last few weeks I have found myself needing to cook out of necessity...I joined a fantastic freezer club and attended a cookie exchange.

The freezer club is amazing because I cook 5 large batches of a recipe and then I get to take home 5 different meals. So, in order to ensure the other members of the freezer club receive a respectable meal I must impersonate a good cook. And surprisingly the others seemed to like the first meal so I thought I would post the recipe.

And no one asked for the cookie recipe, but I think it's delicious, so I'm going to share. They are not the prettiest cookies on the block, but they are oh so soft, moist, sweet, and chocolatey. What more could you ask for?

White Bean Chicken Chili
Source: Jodi Fish

Ingredients
1 lb. chicken, cubed
1 medium onion, diced
1.5 tsp. garlic powder
2 15.5 oz. cans Great Northern beans, rinsed and drained
1 14.5 oz. can of chicken broth
1 4 oz. can chopped green chilis
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. cumin
1 tsp. oregano
1/2 tsp. black pepper
1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
1 cup sour cream
1/2 cup whipping cream

Directions
Saute chicken, onion and garlic. Add beans, green chilis, broth, and seasonings to cooked chicken. Cook until boiling, reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 30 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in sour cream and whipping cream. Makes approximately 6 servings.

Chocolate Chocolate Chip Cookies
Source: ??? Recipe given to me by Grace Bible Church, Hutchinson, KS

Ingredients
1 c. softened butter
1 1/2 c. white sugar
2 eggs
2 tsp. vanilla
2 c. flour
2/3 c. cocoa powder
3/4 tsp. salt
2 c. semi-sweet chocolate chips

Directions
Preheat oven to 350. Beat butter, sugar, eggs, and vanilla until light and fluffy. Combine flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt. Stir into the butter mixture. Stir in chocolate chips. Drop by rounded teaspoons onto ungreased cookie sheets. Bake 8-10 minutes. Makes 4 dozen cookies.

1 comment:

  1. If that cookie recipe is the one I am thinking of, then it came from the cooking master, Tove Brunk.

    The chili sounds delish!

    ReplyDelete