Friday, March 30, 2012

Modernizing the Mantel

With spring upon us I decided it was time to spruce up my very neutral, monochromatic winter mantel. The two self-imposed requirements were to add color and only use items from around the house.  Here is a before and after.

 Winter Mantel

 Spring Mantel

After rummaging through the house I decided to go with an eclectic, layered feel.  It was a bit difficult because my mantel is very thin, but I like the end result.

First, I hung a wreath from the chalkboard.  Surprise, surprise this wreath is actually my infamous burlap wreath I use every season.  I wanted to add some color so I took some old fabric from my stash and cut it into 2 inch strips and pinned it right over the burlap.  Then using felt I already had I cut circles in various sizes to create the flowers.  This wreath is so super easy...I didn't even glue the flowers.  See the white centers those are pinheads.  I simply put a pin in the middle of each flower to secure them to the wreath.  So when I get the itch to have a new wreath everything is completely removable.

This is the only thing I bought for the new mantle.  I saw this idea on Pinterest from A Steeds Life and I created it using Sprik Space Iphone wallpapers and Picnik.  Once completed I had an 8x10 printed at Walmart.  Super fun and easy new art!

On Pinterest I saw a wall hanging with a heart cut out for different states and it inspired me to create a picture using the three states we have lived in together.  I used free printables from Q.A. Designs

And a close-up of those flowers.

Why do I enjoy this stuff so much?  I could spend hours playing around with it.  It's so fun to create something new for each season.

4 comments:

  1. Cute, Kristen! I love all the color...and I have it on my 'to do' list to make one of those special-dates-prints. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like that thing with all your dates in it, I may have to try that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would be happy to make one for both of you! Just send me your preferred background color and special dates. Actually, Kate thanks to the family calendar I already have your dates :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the dates idea too! We are getting a mantle installed soon and you are inspiring me :) And your kiddos are so adorable, Kristen - it's so fun to see pictures. I'm glad you linked this on facebook for me to find!

    ReplyDelete