Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Happy Birthday to me

This year I turn the big 30!  I still have a few months before the big day, but I've been wanting to take a big girl's trip for the special occasion.  Two of my college friends (who also turn 30 in the next year :) quickly jumped on board and we decided to visit the Riviera Maya in Mexico for a long weekend of relaxation and catching up.  Unfortunately one of the girls had to back out at the last minute due to a work conflict, but me and my roommate of 4 years boarded a plane for Mexico.


We had a great time relaxing, eating, talking, reading, and biking.  We arrived on Friday and quickly got on our swimwear.  We headed down to the beach to soak up the sun, swim in the ocean, nap, and read.  Saturday we spent most of our time at the beach. During the trip I read 5 magazines and 2 books which is a good indication of the amount of relaxing time we had :)  We did try a water gym class, but it turned awkward as we had to give complete strangers neck massages. Saturday night we visited the creperie for dinner and enjoyed a delightful chocolate crepe for dessert.  For our evening entertainment we went to a show at the resort.  It was touted as a cirque de sol show...that was a bit of a stretch as there was only one acrobatic person the rest of the people were mimes, monsters, clowns, and magicians.  While it was entertaining we left in the middle because it was a little too strange.
my view from the lounge chair
enjoying our crepes

Sunday we started the day with a guided bike ride.  We rode down to the marina and got to view manatees and dolphins.  Then we spent the rest of the day at the pool and the beach.  On Sunday evening we went to a Japanese restaurant.  I had my first sushi experience...it was better than this picky eater thought it would be.  We ended the evening with a long chat reminiscing about our college days.









Monday we went down to the beach for a few hours and then it was off to the airport.  After two smooth flights (though delayed) I made it home about midnight.

It was a wonderful mommy break and I felt very refreshed coming home!  Next up...what were the kids up to while momma was away?

1 comment:

  1. wow I'm jealous! All I got for turning 30 (2 years ago already, yikes!) was a cake with a fire extinguisher nearby ;)

    ReplyDelete