Saturday, May 25, 2013

Writing

I know little minds are like sponges, but it never ceases to amaze me when one of my children learns a new concept. Sawyer has a wild and crazy all boy nature! He is constantly on the move. In fact the other day I noticed that he sometimes wiggles when he walks. I guess walking does not provide enough movement for the little man. But despite all his running and jumping he actually picks up on things very quickly. I remember when he was almost 2 and I was so surprised when he not only could say his full alphabet but he could also identify all the letters. Several months ago we realized he could spell Sawyer and Nora without looking at the letters and could identify the names when he saw them. I can't take credit for this learning as he seems to pick up on it just from life situations and perhaps a little help from Sesame Street :)

The other day we were playing outside with sidewalk chalk and he asked me to help him write his name. He requests this all the time and I usually grab the writing utensil and help him write the letters. But on this day after helping him write the "S" he asked to do the other letters by himself and much to my surprise he did it! The 1st attempt was a little hard to read but you can most definetly see the attempt at drawing letters.

Sawyer a little out of order "E, W, S, R, A, Y
my cheese face posing with his words




Then he decided to write Nora, Momma and Dada. I had to help him with a few letters such as the "N" in Nora and the "D" in dada but once I showed him he was able to do it by himself. I was pretty astounded. No one taught him how he just figured it out! It's crazy how kids can do that!

Mama, Nora, Dada, Sawyer
His 2nd attempt was much more successful and all by himself: backward S, A, upside down W, Y, E, R
So, he is obviously ready to start writing...the only issue is he can't decide which hand to write with. When doing this experiment he literally switched hands after every letter.

After reading this I hope you don't think I'm just trying to brag about my kids (though I do think they are pretty great :) nor do I think Sawyer is advanced beyond his age. I know kids at age 3 who can read so I'm not under the impression he his a genius. I'm writing this for memories sake and also because I think it's incredible how the Lord shapes our mind and the learning process of a little one. If only I could remember and pick up on things as fast as my 3 year old!

No comments:

Post a Comment