Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Travel Bathroom

Almost a year ago we were working on remodeling the guest/kids bathroom. Click here for the before and after post to refresh your memory. The room has been done for over 10 months but I never put any art on the wall. Well I finally got on that...

When I first started traveling around the world in college I wanted to buy a souvenir when I went to a new place but I didn't want a bunch of kitschy items that just sat in a box so I decided when I went to a new location I would purchase an item for a future bathroom.

Over the years we have collected several special pieces including art prints, bowls, a rug, foreign money etc. And I recently selected a few pieces to display in our guest bathroom. It was hard to choose what items would make the cut. They are all special but I didn't want to overwhelm the room and most of the items needed to have a function like the rug or a bowl (from China) to hold jewelry. For the wall gallery I wanted to display an eclectic variety of pieces (not just pictures taken on vacation). Here's what I came up with:

Sorry for the bad lighting and the glare. This is a room with no windows so this is the best my amateur self could do.



From top to bottom, left to right: hand embroidered linen towel from Ecuador, Kansas state embroidery hoop (not from our travels but a special location to us), water closet sign from Greece, a collection of foreign currency from numerous countries (China, Britain, Ecuador, Dominican Republic, Mexico, Euro's, Canada, etc), landscape picture of the Greenville post office (city we lived in when we were married), a hand painted Mayan calendar commemorating our wedding anniversary which we purchased on our honeymoon.



One of the great things about this project was it was FREE! I used souvenirs we already had and utilized frames I had in my stash (I may have a frame hoarding issue).


Speaking of bathrooms we are working hard on the master bathroom. Since I last updated the wallpaper has been completely removed, the flooring removed, walls primed and painted and new flooring laid. Nothing says bathroom remodel like a new toilet sitting in my formal living room. Painting trim and putting in the toilet is next on the list. I'm also working on some artwork for the new space...hopefully it won't take me a year to complete :)

No comments:

Post a Comment